Tom has worked with entrepreneurs and high net worth individuals in health care, real estate, construction, retail, fragrances and cosmetics, and a variety of other industries to protect and maximize their assets.
Tom holds an LL.M in Taxation, having graduated second in his class, is Board Certified in Tax Law by The Florida Bar, and is a Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
Prior to law school, Tom obtained his Certified Public Accountant license in South Carolina, is a member of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and was named its CPA of the Year in Business and Industry in 1999. Tom writes often on tax, LLC and partnership issues.
Tom is proud to have been named Top Dealmaker in 2007 in Real Estate – Retail/Entertainment by American Law Media’s for his role in his client’s sale of Dania Jai-Alai to Boyd Gaming.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow (2010-2017)
- The Florida Bar (Tax Section: Executive Council, Partnership Taxation (2010-2017 ); Member, Business Law Section; Member (2010-2017), Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section (2015-2017); Appointee, Ethics Grievance Committee (2015-2017))
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Board of Governors (1995-1997); SE Regional Accounting Show Committee (1998-1999))
- Greater Miami Tax Institute (President, 1988)
- FICPA, Dade County Chapter (Director (1993-1998), Secretary (1995), President and President-Elect (1995-1996))
- Adjunct professor, Univ. of Miami School of Law, Graduate Estate Tax Program, Partnerships and Other Pass-Through Entities (1999)
- Business transactions
- Corporate Tax
- Estate & Family Wealth Planning
- General Corporate
- LLM., Taxation, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1992 (graduated 2nd in his class)
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1988
- B.S., Business Administration, cum laude, The Citadel, 1985
- Board Certified in Tax Law
South Carolina (inactive)
- Berger Singerman (2002 – 2008)
- Zack Kosnitsky (1992-1999)
- Gunster Yoakley (1988-1991)